In August this year we had an enquiry to build this 600,000 litre tank and due to the fact we had been rather short of work at the beginning of the year, and knowing we now had a lot of other work on, as the business owner I decided to take the job on as an opportunity to get out of the office and back on the tools for 6 weeks.
Taking on this project was way out of my comfort zone; used to sitting at a desk all day in front of a computer, hating any temperature above 22°, I lost 15kgs stressing that I would get the job completed on time as no end of challenges presented themselves in one way or another; particularly the weather [we were supposed to be in drought, but had maybe an average of 1 day per week raining], but very thankfully we left the tank on Friday 21st December with only a couple of days to go to clean a few more welds and carry out the hydro-static test and we are done.
The tank was reasonably complex with all sorts of baffles and internal parts. The tank is 10,500mm diameter x 7500mm high with a cone top.
P.S. My sincere apologies to our customers who we didn’t give our usual prompt attention over the last 2 months. We have not had this volume of work ever before, which was an accumulation of orders accepted, the project scope increase as well as a couple of customers with breakdowns that were desperate for someone to help them out. A huge thanks to my team who handled this crisis in the best manner possible – they are now enjoying 2 weeks off.